Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Why do they do that?


Why do they do that?

I often see things that make me ask the question, "Why do they do that?" Here's a good example.

I noticed a sign on the men's room door which included Braille. OK, I can understand the usefulness of Braille signs; but sometimes I have to wonder.

Picture this, a blind guy feels his way to the men's room door, and his fingers tell him that he's in the right place by reading the Braille on the sign. Great -- now what, when he walks into the men's room, how is he going to know where the toilet is? And what would be the problem if he accidentally went in the ladies room? It's not like he's going to see anything?

I've also seen Braille signs at drive through ATMs! How many blind people do you see driving up to an ATM? If they are good enough to drive up to the ATM they don't need a Braille sign on the machine!

I hope this doesn't offend any visually impaired readers -- just curious. Actually, I too am visually impaired. I can only see out of one eye and have no peripheral vision in either eye.

As always, your comments are welcome.

No comments: