Sunday, October 02, 2005

Space Tourism - Take a ride - ONLY $20 Million!

Take a Ride in Space - ONLY $20 Million

Every feel like you would like to get away from it all and just leave this place far behind? Well, now you can! You can leave this planet and head for outer space. Be prepard to pay a pretty penny for the trip, but space travel for non-astronauts has begun!

Saturday, Gregory Olsen boarded the Russian Soyuz-TMA spacecraft at Baikonur Cosmodrom (Photo from AP). The prize tag for his little journey, a whopping $20 million! I don't know about you, but I guess it will be quite a while before I can afford a to schedule a space trip in my budget! Get this - for his $20 million Mr. Olsen only gets a two-day trip to the international space station and back.

Actually, Gregory Olsen is the third non-astronaut to visit the space station. It seems that the Russian Federal Space Agency is in a cash crunch and has started space tourism to raise some money. In 2001, a California business man Dennis Tito made a space trip and then in 2002, South African Mark Shuttleword also paid for a jaunt to the space station. Gregory Olsen is the founder of an infrared-camera maker company in New Jersey.

I often dream of exploring the final frontier like the crew of the Starship Enterprise, going where no man has gone before; but for a $20 million price tag it's going to have continue to be only a dream!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess if you've got the money but it seems so self-indulgent to me. If I had 20 million dollars I would like to think I would do better things with it. Then again, I would never really know unless I found myself in that position.
Peace............