Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Battle of the Blogs

Battle of the Blogs

I joined Blog Explosion on Sept. 2, 2005 with a generic wysiwyg template. My blog was rated #1495 when I started battling. I soon discovered that the design of the blog was more important than the content in the battles. I tried redesigning my blog on my own and totally messed it up!

After spending some time in the shoutbox and doing some research I found a great template I liked at Blogfrocks but had trouble installing it and making the comments work properly. So I enlisted the help of my new friend Just Puremood to help me out. She was awesome and got everything working for me! Now I was ready to do battle again with my hot new design!

I was right; I began winning more and more battles and advanced from #1495 all the way up to #74 over the next month. Of course I like to think that I have interesting content on my blog, but I know the design is a big part of winning the battles.

Looking at my stats I found that 71% of the people who visit my blog coming from BOTB page only stay on my blog for 5-20 seconds. I guess they are all SPEED READERS! Ya think? It really doesn't matter...I am addicted to the battles! My goal is to make it to the lifetime top fifty fighters.

I noticed the battles seem to go a lot faster now that the rules have changed. Do you think people are clicking on view the blog and then voting as quick as they can just to pick up more credits?

Hey, here's a thought. How about if we all spend a little more than 20 or 30 seconds on the blogs we are voting for and actually read the content. There are really many good writers out there with great articles! You may discover something you like. It would be nice to leave comments also. By the way - that's a great way to pick up more visitors to your own blog.

Speaking of comments, leave a comment and let me know how you feel about Battle of the Blogs.

12 comments:

Angie said...

I am completely addicted to battling my blog! :) Doesn't much matter how they change the battles, you just can't make everyone read. However, if you are lucky, you pick up some readers. I did. I love your Blog!

Peter Porcupine said...

I am in the midst of my second battly, and don't know what I thik. I DID however, take time to read the blog, and it's very good. You and Stroheim are both talented writers.

ShellBug526 said...

At least they are staying 5-20 seconds, most of mine are under 5 seconds. I also agree that the template is the most important. When I had the standard blogger template, I could not win a battle to save my life!!! :) It is quite addicting though.

WendyWings said...

Another addict here, I actually DID make the top 50 last night then fell off the list again and have not been able to get back on today.
I don't think people do read the content or at least very very few of them do, I am guilty of quick clicking myself SOME of the time.
BTW I finally blogrolled you :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know that about the Battle visitors. Maybe I won't waste all my credits trying to get a few extra visitors per credit on the BOB.

Glyn (Zaphod) Evans said...

Like I was saying in the shoutbox, I think that many voters will look very quickly, and if nothing is new, they will simply skip to the next blog. I am guilty of this as well.

Peter Porcupine said...

True - for istanc, I am about to vote for you AGAIN. I read the other blog, but knew yours. Some, like Wnedy, are repeat customers, and you've already investigated.

You, too, Angry Guy!

Unknown said...

I am still trying to kick this (BotB) addiction.

Well, I do read your blog, and definately stay longer then 20 secs, and usually vote for ya, LOL

^_^

justdawn said...

A blog has to look somewhat appealing to catch my eye...but I don't believe that a nice looking blog is more important than content. I will at least read the top post if I am voting in a battle.

Melanie said...

You'll make it to the top 50 in no time. When they changed over, I went from sixth place to 164th! I think the new way of placement is more fair.

I usually read the blogs. I "quick vote" when I already know what is on the site, having read it on a previous battle. I must admit tho, that I do have some absolute favorites that I will vote for no matter who they are against. Human nature, I suppose, to pick your "friends".

Peter Porcupine said...

I thought they changed that so win or lose you got points. In fact, I'm sure, because I vote for losers all the time! No accounting for tast, that sure is true.

Anonymous said...

I think that the content in the blog is more important than the design. Sure a well-designed blog grabs attention, but I never vote for one based on the way it looks.

BTW, I really like your blog! Visit mine if you get the chance.