Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Life Assurance

Life Assurance

It's time for a spiritual post. I hope that many of my readers are religious and will enjoy this post. As always, your comments are welcome.

I used to sell life insurance and I did very well because I really believed in what I was doing. I thought everyone needs life insurance because it provides for those who are left behind. True as that may be, I have since discovered something much better to believe in…life assurance! You can't buy it from Prudential or Met Life but just like their life insurance policies, life assurance will provide for those who are left behind! Only God can give us life assurance and it's a wonderful feeling to know that we have something to look forward to after death!

In the last few years we have seen three people that were very close to us pass away. At first we were devastated by these losses, but after reflecting upon their lives and deaths and reading the bible; we came to understand that they are indeed in a much better place now.

Ezekiel 37: 1-14 tells us the story of the prophet Ezekiel who is shown a great miracle as God is able to give live to the dead bones and bodies that are scattered all about and raise them up again!

Three-years ago my mom lost her battle with cancer and Chris and I were overwhelmed with grief. We had always known her as a healthy, energetic person and to see mom in her last days after going through chemotherapy and fighting for breath with every step she took was heartbreaking, we hardly recognized her.

Then my sister Joan died suddenly two-years ago from heart failure. Just two weeks before her death she had visited us and seemed very happy and healthy! Joan was only fifty-years old. It didn't seem fair that she should be taken away so young.

Subsequently just three months after Joan had died our family suffered another loss. Chris' brother, Billy passed away after a life long struggle with diabetes. He too was very young, only fifty four-years old!

Three different people, three different diseases, yet they all have something in common. They all have been gloriously resurrected and no longer have to struggle with their various ailments.

In Ezekiel 37:13 God tells us, "And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people." This assures us that we will know life after death!

One thing is for certain, we are only here on this earth for a short time and eventually we will die. However, it should not be a time of sadness and grieving for the friends and family left behind. Rather it should be a time of peace and comfort, knowing that our loved ones have left all their troubles behind and have been resurrected. Sure we are saddened because we will miss them but it is reassuring to know that they are now in the presence of God in all His glory!

We read in Ezekiel 37:14. "And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land; then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken, and I have done it, says the LORD" . What more assurance could we possibly need?

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, we ask that you be with the friends and families of those who have lost loved ones. Touch their hearts so that they will know peace and help them to understand that there is life after death. Let us all embrace the fact that God gives us life assurance and He tells us that after our time on earth here is done we will be with our Father in heaven enjoying eternal peace!

2 comments:

Maciej said...

Wonderful words...I just had a friend tell me today someone he knew passed away. I will pass your blog along to him so he can read your encouraging words.

Anonymous said...

Amen on this post!!

I have this book on my wish list, by Erwin Lutzer. Have you heard of him? He is in Chicago at Moody Bible, as they're main pastor. His words always touch me and he has such a way about explaining things.

Anyway....this book is titled "One Minute After You Die" and he asks 'Will you see God sitting on his throne, surrounded by angels and redeemed humanity, or will you realize that you are shrouded in darkness, in a region of unending regret and deprivation?'.....

Sorry for the long comment...it just reminded me of this book. Nice post, to be sure!