Monday, October 24, 2005

Sunrise at Sea

Sunrise at Sea

Many years ago when I was in the Navy, on board an aircraft carrier, my favorite thing to do was stand on the signal bridge and feel the wind whip against my face as I smelled the fresh sea air. I used to enjoy looking out at the horizon and seeing nothing but ocean and sky. At night there were thousands of stars in the sky and it would make me feel so small and insignificant as I gazed upon them. Then morning would come and the sun would rise up magnificently out of the ocean! It was impossible to not think about God and how He created all of this beauty!

There was plenty of time for thinking as we had to stand watch for twelve-hour shifts. Often I would read my bible during this time and contemplate many things. Sunrise and mornings were always very special times as I watched and the world awakened; I was reminded of Isaiah 50:4...He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught...
I did listen and my eyes and ears were opened as I read my bible in the early morning hours. My faith helped to keep me strong as death and destruction was all around me.

You see this was 1968 and I was watching the sun rise over the Gulf of Tonkin in Vietnam as the planes from our aircraft carrier dropped 500 and 1000 pound bombs on the landscape and peppered the jungle with Napalm.
There were many distractions during those days of war and temptations to stray from the path of righteousness were everywhere. My shipmates would laugh and make fun when they saw me reading the bible. I do not pretend to be an angel and I did stray occasionally as I am only human. However, I continued to read my bible and took comfort in knowing that the Lord gave me strength....Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame...Isaiah 50:7 I learned many things about life during my three tours of duty in Vietnam. I saw people at their best and others at their worst!

I visited many countries in my travels and saw how people lived in different cultures around the world. What I took away from all of this was an education far greater than I received in all my years of schooling, a better understanding of life and people. Most of all I realized that even during our lowest times in life God is always there for us and you can count on him to pull you through!


Prayer: Lord help us to seek your wisdom especially during our low points in life. We take comfort in knowing that you are always there to lift us up and help us through our troubled times. As the sun rises each morning and the world awakens please open our ears and our eyes so we may hear your word and see the Christ in others. Awaken us; let our tongues speak your word and share it with those we meet in our daily lives. Amen

1 comment:

sea said...

Beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing your memories and for the important reminder to trust in the Lord through all situations and trials, even in the face of ridicule and troubled times.