Tuesday, November 01, 2005

NaNoWriMo is Here!


NaNoWriMo is Here!

I don't know how I am going to have time to blog, work eight-hours a day, commute back and forth to work two-hours a day, design websites for my clients, spend time with my wife and write 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo! AAAARRRGGGHHH!

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Every year in November thousands of writers and wannabe writers drop everything and spend 30-days writing a novel. Their goal is to write 50,000 words in 30-days. In 1999 there were 21 participants and six winners. Last year that number increased to 42,000 participants and just shy of 6,000 winners. WOW, that's a lot of words being written!

I was really frustrated because up until last night, I had no idea what my novel was going to be about. I had no characters, no story line, nothing! Then when I woke up in the middle of the night, I had a brilliant idea. So today I sat down and started typing and I managed to get a pretty good start on my novel. I actually wrote over 4,000 words!

I'm pretty sure I can't keep up that pace, but at least I have a plan now. I will try to write a little each day and give it my best shot. If any of you are also participating in this CRAZY event, please comment, or better yet send me an email cmmdtp@gmail.com

Any veteran NaNoWriMo survivors out there with some words of wisdom for this rookie, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Good luck to all of you who are as crazy as me and are participating.


2 comments:

sea said...

Just want to cheer you on as you embark on your novel. I think it is an incredibly wonderful commitment, and maybe I'll actually have the courage to take the plunge next year. Best wishes for you and your writing muse!

Glyn (Zaphod) Evans said...

It sounds very interesting. I wonder if I could find the time...