Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hug A Veteran Today

Hug A Veteran Today

November 11th is Veterans Day. If you know a Veteran show them some love today. The men and women who serve or have served our country deserve a big hug.

Veterans Day used to be called Armistice Day. World War I officially ended on June 28, 1919 when the Treaty of Versailles was signed. However, the actual fighting between the Allies and Germany ended on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918 when the armistice went into effect.

In 1926 Armistice Day became an official holiday and twelve years later November 11th became a National Holiday in the United States. In 1954 the name was changed to Veterans Day to honor all U.S. Veterans.

All throughout history we have fought in wars that may have been questionable. I did three tours of duty in Vietnam and many times I questioned why we were there, but I still did my duty, followed my orders, and served my country. It doesn't matter what your political views are or if you support the war in Iraq or not; what really matters is that young men and women are risking their lives for you and me as they serve their country. So put aside your politics and make sure you hug a Veteran today.

2 comments:

Peter Porcupine said...

Today is ALSO the 320th Anniversary of the Marine Corps!

Semper Fi!

The Blogging Boss said...

Mike,

In a day and age where we seem to forget the sacrifices of our troops in Iraq because it does not
align with our political views, it is so good to heara voice of reason.

Get the message out loud!

I will hug a veteran today.

Eric