Wednesday, November 30, 2005

NaNoWriMo - What Was I Thinking?

NaNoWriMo - What Was I Thinking?

Today is the last day of November and I was supposed to have 50,000 words written for NaNoWriMo. What was I thinking? For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about visit The National Novel Writing Month website.

It seemed like a good idea when I first heard about it and I got off to a really good start with over 4,000 words in the first week. Then life got in the way; visits from out of town relatives, Thanksgiving preparations, picking out a Christmas tree, Christmas shopping, work, etc. I soon discovered that to write 50,000 words in 30 days is an awesome undertaking and to do it during the busy holiday season is just plain crazy! Sadly, I have ended up with only about 10,000 words for my novel.

You might think of this as a failure. I am disappointed because I did not reach my goal, but the optimist in me is excited because I finally got started on that novel I have been putting off for years. Now I have nearly 10,000 words completed and a great story line working! So this was not a failure for me but rather a stepping stone and I want to thank all those other crazy writers from the Blog Explosion Shout Box who talked me into doing this. I will be back again next year for the madness!

2 comments:

sea said...

Mike:
That is a great success in my book. You have 10,000 more words than you did a month ago, and a great start to writing a novel. The key is to keep writing. Just because the contest ends, don't let your writing end along with it.

Congratulations.

jane said...

You tried though. Good for you! Perhaps next year.