Saturday, November 19, 2005

Why Do We Have To Rake Leaves?

Why Do We Have To Rake Leaves?

Fall is my favorite time of year, except for one thing - raking leaves! What is the purpose of having to remove the leaves from your lawn anyway? They must have fallen from the trees for a reason, who are we to mess with the master plan? I say, just leave the darn leaves where they fall. It's kind of like compost for your lawn, isn't it?

I will admit that with the invention of the leaf blower, it has become much easier of a chore to clean up the yard; however, I still complain every year as I am going about this task. To make matters worse, 99% of the leaves on my lawn are not mine! They came from my neighbors yard. I think there should be a rule that the person who belongs to the tree where the leaves came from should be the one who has to clean up the mess!

We are fortunate to live in a small town where they come around with a truck and a huge vaccuum system to suck up your piles of leaves. We don't have to go through the added chore of bagging them up. All we do is blow them to the side of the road in big piles and the town will come and suck them up every Thursday. They also have a wood chipper and will chop up piles of branches if you have them next to the curb. Isn't that nice?

I love the pretty colors of the changing leaves in the fall and the sudden arrival of cool, brisk breezes to stir up the autumn smells, it is very refreshing. I just hate it that the leaves have to be cleaned up. Does any one else share my feelings? Please leave a comment.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Thank you for this! I work for a power equipment company and one of our machines is a leaf and lawn vacuum. People call freaking out - "But, my leaves are falling. I need my machine!" As if it't the end of the world because they have leaves on their lawn. Apparently, it is not good for the grass. Boo-hoo!
Peace..............