Friday, May 19, 2006

Cell Phones

What did we ever do before the invention of cell phones? I never thought I needed a cell phone but since I finally have one of my own I must admit I am lost without it! If I leave home and forget my cell phone, I will have to turn around and go back to get it!

I do have a few pet peeves about cell phones though so here are the Top Ten:




  • People talking on cell phones in a restaurant.

  • Hearing someone’s cell phone ring in the movie theater, or worse yet someone answering their cell phone during a movie!

  • Talking on the cell phone while driving and not paying attention to the road.

  • Cell phones ringing during meetings.

  • Cell phones ringing at church.

  • Talking on a regular phone and a cell phone at the same time.

  • Stupid rings that people download for their cell phones.

  • Why do I need a phone at home if my wife and I both have cell phones?

  • Where do all my unused minutes go to?

  • How the heck do I get my messages off of my cell phone anyway?

  • However, after all is said and done, cell phones are a great invention, especially for traveling and for emergencies. I never leave home without my cell phone.

    I have had several different cell phone carriers: Verizon, AT&T, Cingular Wireless and SunCom. Here is what I have discovered. I dropped them all, and went to Wal-Mart to pick up a TracFone; I now have a pay-as-you-go plan with no contracts involved and I am very happy! When I need more minutes, I simply go on line and buy more minutes; and the reception is better than I had with the other major carriers I have tried.

    The other phones I had (which were much more expensive) would never work in the small town where I live and I could not get any reception at all in my house! This cheap phone works fantastic, even in my house and in all the places I could not get a signal before! I love it!

    If you have any great cell phone stories, rants or raves...please leave a comment.


    2 comments:

    Angie said...

    My only story is, I still don't have one. I refuse to on principle. I just hate the darn things. :) My 15 year old has one that my parents bought for her and my husband has a pay as you go one. I'm holding out. I want to be the last person on earth without one. ;)

    Have a great day, Mike!! :)

    Anonymous said...

    Well, in the talking while driving vein, a year or so ago I was driving on a busy highway when I was passed by a car going way over the speed limit.

    I turned to look at the driver thinking he/she was going way too fast and saw it was one of my neighbours and she was indeed talking on her cell phone (she's well known for sopending hours on the phone).

    When I got home, a few minutes after her of course, I saw her outaside so mentioned the incident.

    She begged me not to tell her husband as she was sure he'd be mad.

    I thought was, you damn well deserve it if he gets mad !