Wednesday, February 08, 2006

15 Cent Hamburgers

I made a post on my other blog, Mike's World about McDonald's new packaging with nutritional information. It got me to thinking about the good old days when you could get a hamburger, fry and a drink and change back from your dollar! That's right, in fact that was McDonald's slogan back then.

I worked at McDonald's when I was 16. Here are some of my memories.
You wouldn't recognize it as the same restaurant. The buildings were red and white and very small. The menu was very limited, all we served were hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, drinks and shakes.

Hamburgers cost 15 cents, fries were only 07 cents. The hamburgers weren't the frozen type you get now-a-day, it was fresh ground beef. The fries were real too. We got in 100 pound sacks of potatoes, put them in a machine to peel them, then washed them and sliced them into fries. The milk shakes were great also. The kind you had to put on a spindle to stir up.


There were no drive-thru windows and not even a dining room. All we had were two sliding glass windows for walk-up traffic. There were a couple of picnic tables outside to sit at, but mostly people would eat in their car or carry the food home. The golden arches were much bigger then too.

I earned a whopping 75 cents per hour when I first started working at McDonald's. Another interesting fact is there were no women working there, only males. We wore silly looking paper hats.

The buns were put in a big toaster and tasted great! Ahhhh, the good old days. I actually ended up staying at McDonald's and becoming a manager. I worked for ten years at McDonald's as a manager and another ten at Burger King and Wendy's. I guess I've eaten my share of fast food.

Don't forget to leave a comment.

1 comment:

roxyfoxy said...

Cool story !