Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Superman Returns

Superman Returns

We went to see "Superman Returns" over the holiday weekend. I'm glad we went to the discounted matinee and didn't pay full price for the tickets! The movie was long and drawn out, two hours and thirty four minutes. There were a couple of good action scenes with great special effects, but they were few and far between!


Brandon Routh just did not do it for me as Superman; however, he did bear some resemblance to Christopher Reeves, especially his voice. I was not impressed with Lois Lane either, played by Kate Bosworth, her character was boring. There was no chemistry between her and superman. The best actor in the movie was Kevin Spacey who did a great job as Lex Luthor. He potrayed a very devious bad-guy!

Overall, the movie was boring and bland. What I did find interesting though was the way that I noticed there were many similarities between Superman and Christ.

Here are the metaphors I found.
Clark Kent is sent to earth by his Father. Clark's name is Ka-El his father's name is Jor-El. The El part of the name in Hebrew means God the Father. Superman is beaten and suffers a stab wound very similar to the wound inflicted on Christ by the spear of a Roman soldier. We then see Superman posing with his arms outstretched as though he had been crucified.

Lois Lane has a line that goes like this, "The world doesn't need a saviour...and neither do I."

Also the ghost of Jor-El says,"For this reason, I have sent them you, my only son."

Superman says to Lois, " I'm always around."

I don't think you have to be a Bible scholar to notice the way Superman is potrayed as Christ-like in this movie. It is not forced on you, but it's there just the same. Perhaps the one saving grace for this movie?

When all is said and done, the movie is making money. Superman pulled in $74 million over the long fourth of July weekend and more than $106 million its first seven days!

Your comments are welcome.

1 comment:

HEADoc said...

Good to read another perspective. Thanks for bringing more clarity to the spiritual analogy. I was most moved by that aspect of the movie as well and the seed of Superman in the form of having a son and what role that may play in sequels. Every generation will be able to enjoy the story. I think sequels will have more action since the primary purpose of the original is to establish the characters in a believable manner.