Monday, January 09, 2006

NBC's The Book of Daniel

NBC has a new TV show that started Friday, Jan. 6th, called "The Book of Daniel". It is a pretty controversial series about a pill-popping, unconventional priest with a very messed up, dysfunctional family! Daniel is not only able to see Jesus but he also talks with Him and asks him for advise about all kinds of situations.

There are more sub-plots and story lines going on then you can keep up with. The series strikes a nerve of Christians because of the way it mockingly portrays Jesus as a wimpy character. Christ is shown to give flippant answers to Daniel's questions about serious moral issues.

The show has everything from drug abuse, homosexuality, and premarital sex, to stealing money from the church. A snapshot of the world we live in today? Perhaps.

I don't doubt that there are priests who have problems nor do I pretend to be unaware of the plethora of moral issues we have going on all around us. However, I do take offense to the way that Christ is depicted in this show. What would Jesus do if he were here now? I'm sure He wouldn't say things like, "He's a kid, let him be a kid", when asked about a teenager's sexual escapades!

I would like to hear what you think about the show. Please leave a comment and share your thoughts. My opinion is...NBC should cancel this show, although I'm sure they are getting tons of publicity from the controversy and therfore will let it air for a while. However, they did introduce this as a "limited series"!

2 comments:

onewithcat said...

This is the first time I've heard of this show- it sounds intriguing to me. I, for one who likes to deviate from the norm, likes to see new ideas in the entertainment industry - specifically religious depictions.

The way I figure it, is (and I'll bet you'll disagree with me here) when the mass media can bring forth a show or film with Jesus with a strong Christian based storyline in a positive way, I say great! Even if it might not be "right on" it certainly is better than nothing. Somewhere it will make people think. Hopefully someone who has similar problems as the character will pay attention and get a little bit stuck in their mind. Hey... maybe a lot, in fact. You never know.

Scooter McGavin said...

I watched the show and I really didn't come away with it thinking Jesus was "whimpy." Also don't remember his quote about the kid being about sex.

The only think I really found offensive from a Christian point of view was the whole catholic-mob connetion (not that I'm a big fan of them in the 1st polace though) and I didn't really care too much for Ellen Burysten's character.

Scooter McGavin's 9th Green