Friday, January 20, 2006

Ending the Week with a Big Bang!

Okay, I'm happy it's Friday and the work week is over; however, it really ended with a BIG BANG! After the long, hour commute home from work I am one block away from home and I hear a BIG BANG! Then my tire starts making weird noises...thump, thump, thump! It's a flat tire, but since I'm only one block from home I continue on my way, knowing that's probably not too good for my rim, but I am so close!

I get home and check out the situation and sure enough, one of my tires is flatter than a pancake. The sad news is there is still a lot of good tread on the tire so I must have run something over.

Now you think it would be a simple thing to change a tire, but it's not shaping up that way for me. I pull out my spare and notice that although it looks brand new, it is very low on air...I hope it's okay.

After tearing the pickup truck apart looking for a jack, I discover that there is no jack in the truck! That can't be a good thing! I open up my wife's car to borrow her jack and notice that there is about 200 pounds of boxes, clothes, shoes, papers and assorted other "important stuff" in her trunk blocking my path to where the jack would be (that is if she even has a jack).

It's beginning to get dark outside and since I am not really feeling like moving all that junk out of the way to look for a jack, I decide to give it up till tomorrow morning. I don't have anyplace to go tonight anyway.

The next morning I borrow my wife's car and go to the auto parts store hoping to purchase a jack...the guy tells me they don't sell jacks, nobody uses them anymore. I ask him how do you change a tire then. He replies, most people don't get flat tires now adays. I go to another store and find a jack for $14.95 and buy it. I also run by the gas station and put some air in my spare.

When I get home with my new jack I discover that it doesn't lift the truck up high enough to change the tire! Now I am really getting mad! I swallow my pride and go to my neighbors house and ask if he has a jack I can borrow and my problem is solved. He had a nice heavy duty jack and we made short work of changing the tire. (Thank God for good neighboors!)

Now I've got a spare on the truck that has been plugged before so I figure I had better go buy a new tire and keep the plugged one for a spare. So I'm off to the tire shop to purchase a new tire. Then I'm going to come back home, relax, and enjoy my weekend.

Thanks for listening.




2 comments:

eph2810 said...

My, what a start for a weekend. But then again, it is a bleesing that it happened on a Friday and not on a Monday :)

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love when things like that happens?