Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Microsoft IE 7 Beta Released

Microsoft hasn't released a new version of Internet Explorer since 2001, allowing competitor Firefox to gain ground. Firefox now has about 10% of the market share compared to IE's 85% so they have a long way to go to catch up; however, I have been using Firefox now for the past year and really prefer it to IE.

Microsoft's new IE7 will feature enhanced security enhanced guards against malware and phishing. It also promises to be easier to navigate with a sleeker interface. Another new feature will be an icon that users can click on to automatically add RSS feeds to your favorites folder on the browser. Microsoft plans are to ship IE7 along with Vista, the upgrade to Windows XP, in the second half of this year.

I am downloading IE7 as I write this post and will try it out, but I have been very pleased with Firefox and do not plan on returning to IE. After I have tried the new IE for a while I will write a review here, so check back soon. I am interested to hear your opinion on IE vs. Firefox. Please leave a comment.
If you would like to download IE7 Beta version, Click Here.

2 comments:

Big D said...

Yeah, I've been playing with this all day. I'll have a post about what I thought about it vs firefox tommarrow. I'm mainly an IE user. So it should be interseting to compare our notes.

Anonymous said...

Can they ship out the new IE without shipping anything else? I thought that was a big problem with their proprietorship lawsuits and why they stopped sending a Microsoft package with XP.