Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hurry up and wait


Hurry Up and Wait






Anyone who has been in the military is familiar with the saying, "Hurry up and wait". Well, the Vietnam war has been over for more then 40 years now. I think it's a shame that Vietnam Vets have been forgotten about!

I have Diabetes type II which was proven to be caused by exposure to Agent Orange, a chemical which was sprayed in Vietnam to defoliate the jungles. However, since I was in the "Bluewater Navy" which meant I was on a ship and did not have "boots on soil", my claim for benefits has been held up forever!

I was a signalman on board an aircraft carrie, The Bon Homme Richard, and spent my 3 tours of duty in Vietnam above decks, exposed to the prevailing winds. I'm sure I was exposed to Agent Orange while I was there. In addition to that, we often drank and showered in sea water when we would run out of fresh water. I find it hard to believe that we were not exposed to the chemical just because we were out at sea!

The Hass vs. Nicholson case has been holding up the Agent Orange claims with the VA. I understand that the case has been resolved, but it's not good news for the "Bluewater Navy".

Due to my Diabetes, I am now disabled and legally blind in one eye with no peripheral vision in either eye. I did my duty and served my country and it's not fair that the VA and Congress should ignore my claim. I'm sure I am not alone...if there are other Vets out there reading this write to your Congressman and tell them to wake up and get a clue.

Please leave a comment.

No comments: